Season 6 winner of Final Braai Grasp, Corné Bornman – affectionately referred to as “Borries” says with the near-death of the hospitality trade on account of the pandemic, he has been spending extra time than ever in entrance of the hearth. It additionally gave him time to good his new line of braai spices and sauces, known as, Brafia out there on-line from the Brafia Fb web page for people who wish to replicate the flavours at house.
Season 6 winner, Corné “Borries” Bornman, a.ok.a the “Braai-father” has proven how versatile Rooibos is by creating a number of braai dishes, starting from savoury to candy. Right here is his recipe for Norwegian Salmon smoked and blackened with cajun spice and rooibos tea served with grilled fennel, fire-roasted beetroot and Aji Amarillo Chilli sauce
· 300 g Norwegian Salmon Fillet
· Cajun spice
· ¼ cup semi coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons candy paprika
1 tablespoon freshly floor black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly floor white pepper
· 1 to three teaspoons cayenne pepper
1. Mix the above substances, generously season the highest of the fillet and hold the remainder of the combination for future use in any rooster or seafood dish. Open two baggage of Rooibos tea of excellent high quality and sprinkle on prime of the spice. Relaxation for 1-3 hours.
2. Utilizing chilly smoke, with wooden of apricot or different fruit bushes, smoke the fillet on a non-stick mat for 20-Half-hour, with out cooking the fish. Let it quiet down and relaxation whereas prepping the garnish.
· Brush 2 entire beetroots with oil and season. Wrap in foil and cook dinner on the aspect of the hearth. Watch that you don’t get them too sizzling as they’re cooking in themselves with concentrating flavours and will burn simply. As soon as cooked and cooled down, peel and lower into cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and season.
· Trim and blanch child fennel. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Grill over sizzling coals and put aside.
Aji Amarillo Sauce:
· 1/2 cup Aji Amirillo Chillies
· 30 ml oil
· 1 bay leaf, 1 clove of garlic – In pan-roast chillies with oil, bay leaf and garlic
· 2 eggs, boiled laborious (7-10 minutes) and peeled
· ½ cup water
· 10 ml salt
· 5 ml mustard
· ¼ cup vinegar
· ¼ cup bitter cream – mix the entire above in a meals processor and liquidise until clean.
Make a fireplace with good wooden. With the hearth underway, prepare the ready garnishes on the plate. When there are some coals, however nonetheless a little bit of a flame, use a “braai mat” on prime of your grill. Soften a little bit of butter. Raise the fish and place it crust down onto the mat till a pleasant color is achieved. Flip over and crisp up the pores and skin. Serve on a garnished plate. Drizzle with Aji Amarillo sauce and sprinkle some chilli salt on the plate.
Recipe courtesy of Corné “Borries” Bornman
Footage: Marius Henning